Switzerland is known for Alps, mountain ranges and plateau. Once people enter the city, they get mesmerized by the natural beauty embracing the country. Switzerland is situated in the southern, central and western part of Europe.
Even businessmen often visit the country because it is graded as the richest country in this world. It’s the most stable, hi-tech and prosperous European region till date. Also, every year thousands of tourist visit this place, some for a few days, while other for weeks or months.
Travelling around the country can be difficult if you are on a vacation, as you do not want to rush everyday for public transportation. It can be stressful to be on time all the time, even while on holidays. Thus, it is best to rent a car. This allows you the freedom to travel anywhere at your pace.
Beside, renting car helps avoiding extra taxi fares, saves you time and offers convenience. Even if you’re traveling locally, you can hire a car and reach your destination easily. Switzerland is a country that has its own rule and regulations. Violating any law can lead to severe punishment or penalty. Thus, it is suggested that you read more hiring car tips in Switzerland, and gather as much info as you can.
Requirements for Renting a Car
For renting a car in Switzerland, one must be 20 years or above, and have valid license for over a year. All the drivers who want to rent a car and are under the age of 25 may need to pay young driver surcharge. Child seat and seatbelts are mandatory throughout the country.
Vehicles are left hand drive and you are not permitted to overtake on the roads having double while lines.
Car Rental Limitations in Switzerland
Most of the van and car rental categories can be easily driven anywhere in Europe without any restrictions. However, there are limitations on luxury cars because of insurance regulations. Thus, make sure that you check the auto Europe rental programs before renting a car and making an itinerary.
Here is the list of countries that don’t allow rental cars from Switzerland –
However, there are some rental companies that take extra fees and arrange travelling to these countries easily.
One Way Rentals
Local one way rentals are easily available. However, international one way rentals are not allowed.
Here are some basic requirements that are to be fulfilled to borrow car from any Rental Company –
- The criteria for renting are 20 years of age with license which at least a year old. The license should have the same name as that of the borrower.
- However, those who are below 25 years of age will be charged young driver surcharge.
- With seat belts you will also have to keep child seat if your kid s below seven years of age.
- Traffic always moves on the right side of the road and passing isn’t allowed on roads with dual white lines.
- Moving trams will alas be on the right while other times it has to be on left while passing.
- There is self-gas station service available where you can use your credit card or currency to fill fuel tank. Gas stations service from 8am till 10pm.
Most rental companies have their offices in main parts of Switzerland. It is wise to get your arrangements done beforehand to avoid any last minute hassles. The more luxurious the car is, the more are the charges. Therefore, stick to simpler one, but something that is spacious and can accommodate number of people travelling with you including their luggage.